Saudi Crown Prince extends his condolences to family of late Jamal Khashoggi

Saudi Crown Prince extends his condolences to family of late Jamal Khashoggi

One of 15 Saudi men sent to confront Jamal Khashoggi was seen on surveillance video walking around Istanbul wearing a fake beard and the journalist's clothing after he was killed, CNN reported Monday.

The foreign minister's attempt to put daylight between Khashoggi's murderers and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is to be expected-but in no way credible.

There has been speculation Khashoggi was murdered because of his open criticism of the Crown Prince but Saudi authorities insist the royal played no part in his death.

Amid an worldwide outcry over the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and calls for the U.S. and Europe to impose sanctions on Saudi Arabia, China has remained conspicuously silent. After weeks of denying knowledge of his fate, Saudi officials said Saturday the prominent journalist was killed in a "rogue operation".

It said the investigations had "revealed that the discussions that took place between [Khashoggi] and the persons who met him.at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul led to a brawl and a fist fight".

Britain, France and Germany have shown a united front, demanding Saudi Arabia clarify how the journalist died inside its Istanbul consulate backed by "credible" facts.

Merkel had said Sunday that "when it comes to our already limited arms exports. they can not take place in the current situation".

CNN's Clarissa Ward reported on CNN's New Day is reporting that among the Saudi operatives sent to Istanbul to murder Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi was a "body double" created to mislead via surveillance footage.

The incident has damaged the kingdom's image as a future investment hub, with global business leaders from Goldman Sachs Group Inc.to Uber Technologies Inc. distancing themselves from Prince Mohammed and scrapping plans to attend his business forum this week.

"The individuals who did this did this outside the scope of their authority", he said.

More news: Donald Trump under fire for praising assault on Guardian journalist

Britain joined forces with France and Germany yesterday with a joint statement condemning the killing of journalists as unacceptable.

His killing has further soured relations between Saudi Arabia and Turkey, already at loggerheads over Qatar, with which Riyadh cut ties in 2017 and to which Ankara has deployed aid and troops.

King Salman expressed his deepest sympathy in a telephone call Sunday to Salah Jamal Khashoggi, the son of the 59-year-old journalist, who died in Istanbul early this month.

Saudi Arabia said 18 Saudi suspects were in custody and intelligence officials had been fired. He also said Prince Mohammed was not responsible. Saudi Arabia is Germany's second-largest weapons customer, according to official data reported by German news agency DPA.

"Obviously there's been deception and there's been lies", he said of the shifting accounts of Khashoggi's death offered by Riyadh.

Speaking late Saturday after a campaign rally in Nevada, he said he will be talking to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman soon.

"I am not satisfied until we find the answer".

In its latest version, the government conceded that Khashoggi was killed by mistake in its Istanbul consulate but this only sparked more calls for a complete and transparent investigation, coupled with the threat of sanctions.

Turkey earlier said 15 Saudis who travelled to Istanbul were involved in Khashoggi's disappearance.

Related Articles