Three US service members killed in Afghanistan blast

Three US service members killed in Afghanistan blast

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

The names of those killed have not been released yet. A defense official told CBS News a powerful roadside bomb struck a US military convoy early Tuesday morning.

There are around 14,000 American soldiers fighting terrorist groups and advising and training Afghan forces battling the Taliban insurgency.

The Taliban, emboldened by its successes in Ghazni and the surrounding provinces, then launched an assault on the districts of Jaghuri and Malistan. The attacks sent thousands of residents fleeing to nearby provinces. Last month CBS News joined USA forces on the battlefield in Nangarhar Province. More typically, a general carries a pistol.

The deaths are the latest in a growing toll on USA forces in Afghanistan following the death of an army Ranger following an operation against al Qaeda militants in Nimruz province on Saturday. A soldier who died over the weekend was on a mission against al Qaeda militants.

An Afghan official says that at least 30 civilians have been killed, along with 16 Taliban fighters, as government forces battled the insurgents in Helmand province overnight. "All of us, and throughout our coalition of 41 nations, recognize the threats posed by groups such as al Qaeda and ISIS and are determined to fight them here".

More news: China orders probe into scientist claims of first gene-edited babies

Earlier in the month, Army Maj.

"Sgt. Jasso was killed defending our nation, fighting al-Qaida alongside our Afghan partners", Gen. Scott Miller, the top USA and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation commander in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

About 14,000 U.S. troops remain in Afghanistan as part of Resolute Support and a separate counter-terrorism mission aimed against militant groups such as al Qaeda and Islamic State.

Before that, six USA service members were killed in a motorcycle bomb explosion, also claimed by the Taliban, in December of 2015.

The number of American casualties has fallen dramatically since the end of 2014 when Afghan forces took over from US-led North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat troops to secure the country.

Related Articles